Planning a simple meeting or a complex event involves a number of steps and careful planning. It is important to begin planning early and communicating closely among the leadership of your student club or organization. The following are common steps involved in the event planning process:
• As a student club or organization, discuss program and event ideas that fulfill the mission of your organization. Determine preferences for size, scope, dates, locations, and times for the events.
• Review the budget of your organization and ensure you have the funding available for any program or event ideas. Refer to the Campus Life Financial Certification Content for information on fundraising and requests for additional funding from Student Government or the Division of Student Affairs.
• Review the information for RIT policies, procedures, and guidelines that pertain to hosting events on campus.
• Review available spaces for your preferred event dates on campus event on the reservation system at https://reserve.rit.edu.
• When ready, submit your event request at https://reserve.rit.edu. Choose the correct reservation template for the type of space you would like to reserve. Be sure to include time in your space reservation for any set-up or clean-up needs. If any services are needed from Facilities Management Services, Tech Crew, University Production Services, RIT Catering, or Public Safety, be sure to request those in your event request submission.
• For off campus events, submit those requests at https://reserve.rit.edu. Choose the reservation template for Request Off-Campus Event and Travel– StudentOrg to submit these event requests.
• For virtual events, submit those requests at https://reserve.rit.edu. Choose the reservation template for Request VIRTUAL Meeting/Event - StudentOrg to submit these event requests.
• Once requests are submitted, they will be reviewed by space owners, services providers, and the Center for Campus Life to ensure the space is available for your event, the services can be provided, and that the event fits with the mission and goals of your organization and the university. The Center for Campus Life will approve or deny all student organization events.
• Be sure to monitor your email as space owners, service providers, and the Center for Campus Life may email you with important questions about your event or with information on policies and procedures that apply to your event.