Wed, 01 May 2019, 12:30 PM –
Sun, 12 May 2019, 6:30 PMAdd to Calendar
RIT Campus - Sol Heumann Hall
1 Lomb Memorial Dr, Rochester, NY 14623, United States
About Goodbye, Good buy!
Every year, RIT students throw out over 100 tons of goods during move-out. The following fall, incoming students purchase the same items. The cycle continues, and usable items sit in landfills. We set out to change this cycle, and reduce waste!
Spring Collection, May 1st - May 12th, 2019: Students donate their unwanted items as they move out. Collection points are located in dorm lounges and near dumpsters at RIT apartments. Items collected are appropriately sorted to be donated to local non-proifts or to be stored over the summer for the fall sale.Fall Sale, August 21st - 24th, 2019: The Goodbye, Goodbuy! sale provides students with a variety of goods for thrift store prices. The proceeds from the sale go to funding Goodbye, Goodbuy! for next year, and to other Sustainability projects at RIT.
Volunteer with us!
Goodbye, Goodbuy needs volunteers throughout the process. If you can help out, sign up below! More shifts will be added as we need them.
During the Spring Collection, volunteers will help with the following tasks:
- May 1 – 2: set up collection boxes in residence halls and apartments
- May 3 – 12: collect items from residence halls and apartments, sort items in Sol Heumann Hall, transport items to be stored in trailers and storage lockers, bring food and toiletries to the Food Share Center – volunteers will be assigned tasks based on preferences and the needs of the day!
- May 11 – 12: tear down collection boxes in residence halls and apartments
- All volunteers will receive access to the presale in the fall.
- The housing group with the most volunteering hours will furnish a room with items from our sale!
- The club with the most volunteering hours will receive a $5 voucher for each volunteer for the sale!
- Volunteers should come to the Goodbye, Good buy! Head Quarters at Sol Study Center (first floor of Sol Heumann Hall) a few minutes before the start of their shift.
- Volunteers must check in with a Captain at HQ. Captains will assign tasks to volunteers based on preferences and needs for the day.
- Safety is our priority! All volunteers are required to wear close-toed shoes. Work gloves and vests will be provided.
- Interpreting services may be requested by volunteers for their shift through myaccess.rit.edu.